Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thank You For Your Service

A famous American writer and poet, Maya Angelou, is credited as saying "How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!"  How right she is...recently, I took note of what it means to me personally when someone, a stranger, stops me to thank me for my service.


I was in a local grocery store parking lot loading up my trunk with the bags when I noticed a pick-up truck parked a few feet away.  There was a middle-aged man sitting at the wheel watching me as I slammed the trunk shut.  He was clearly hoping to catch my eye to speak to me, so I made it easier by looking his way and smiling...he simply said, "thank you for your service."  It took me a second to realize that he was clued in to my military connections because I was wearing a combat support hospital logo shirt that day.  That was my only "uniform," but he knew that it represented service to this Nation.


"You're so welcome and so worth it," I replied as I climbed into my car.  He took an extra second to ask me if I was a doctor...not sure how he figured that out, but I let him know that he had guessed correctly.  


It was at that moment, that I truly felt amazed at the mutual good feeling that passed between two strangers in a parking lot in these United States of America - he felt good about saying thanks, and I felt good about letting him know that his gratitude was appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment